WHAT IS CANADA EMERGENCY RESPONSE BENEFIT (CERB)?
- Taxable Benefit of $2,000 a month ($500 per week)
- Up to 4 months (16 weeks) for workers who lose their income as a result of COVID-19 pandemic
AM I ELIGIBLE?
To qualify for CERB, you must:
- Have stopped work as a result of reasons related to COVID-19.
- Be without employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period. For subsequent benefit periods, have no income.
- Have income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of your application
DO I APPLY FOR CERB IF I HAVE ALREADY APPLIED FOR EI?
- You DO NOT need to apply for CERB.
- EI application submitted BEFORE March 15th: claim is processed under the pre-existing EI rules.
- EI application submitted AFTER March 15th: claim is automatically processed through CERB.
IF I HAVEN’T APPLIED TO EI, DO I NOW APPLY TO CERB? HOW DO I APPLY?
YES. If you haven’t applied for EI, you will apply for CERB (not EI) through My CRA:
The CERB portal for applications will be open April 6th and Canadians are to apply according to their birth month as follows:
|If you were born in the month of||Apply for CERB on||Your best day to apply|
|Jan, Feb, Mar||Mondays||April 6|
|Apr, May, June||Tuesdays||April 7|
|July, Aug, Sept||Wednesdays||April 8|
|Oct, Nov, Dec||Thursdays||April 9|
|Any Month||Fri, Sat, Sun|
DO I HAVE TO APPLY EVERY 4 WEEKS FOR CERB?
YES. You will need to apply for the CERB every 4 weeks (to a maximum of 16 weeks) if your work stoppage continues. Each payment of CERB covers a 4-week period, and is retroactive to March 15, 2020. When you apply, it is for a single payment for the 4-week period.
IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN I DO TO SPEED UP MY CERB APPLICATION PROCESS?
YES. Here are 2 things to do BEFORE you apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit:
- Sign up for My Account through the CRA. This will speed up your application process when applications open the week of April 6th.
- Sign up for direct deposit. This will help get money into your account faster once your application is processed.
If you don’t have CRA account but you do have a My Service Canada Account, you do not need to register for a CRA My Account, but you do need to complete the following:
After you sign into My Service Canada Account at: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/my-account.html
- Look for the link to "Switch to Canada Revenue Agency" and then "I agree" on the Registration and authentication page. This transfers you to CRA My Account.
- Update your address and direct deposit with CRA (CRA does not have your personal information from your My Service Canada Account)
- You can then complete the application when it becomes available on April 6.
DO I NEED AN ROE TO APPLY FOR CERB?
No. The program is subject to providing supporting documentation at a later date.
HOW QUICKLY CAN I RECEIVE CERB PAYMENTS?
- Direct deposit: expect your payment within 3 business days from the day you submitted your application
- Cheque: expect to get the cheque within 10 business days from the day you submitted your application
***This information is current as of April 3, 2020 and may be subject to change in accordance with gov’t legislation****
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON CERB VISIT: