COVID-19: Practising Physical/Social Distancing
We all have a responsibility in the current environment to stop the spread of COVID-19 to protect family, friends and colleagues. We want to ensure we maintain a safe workplace. Regardless of the measures we are taking as your employer while you are at work, we want to ensure that all employees are always practicing responsible Physical/Social Distancing. This includes when you are away from the workplace.
Please see the key points to safe Physical/Social Distancing below.
What is physical/social distancing?
To prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect our community, everyone needs to stay home as much as possible and keep their distance from others. Physical distancing, also called social distancing, means limiting the number of people you come into close contact with.
No physical gatherings
- Connect with friends by phone, email, video or social media
- Cancel all group gatherings, or parties
- Avoid playgrounds or long lineups
- Do not visit loved ones in long-term care homes, retirement homes or other care settings
- Cancel playdates with other children and cancel children’s sleepovers
- No social gathering in Ontario greater than 5 individuals
Limit your trips outdoors
- Limit trips only for essentials such as groceries, work and exercise
- Consider keeping a shopping list and making one visit to a store in place of multiple visits
- Consider only shopping at one store during this period to limit your exposure
- Keep a distance of 6 feet (2 metres) from others
- Greet others with a wave, a bow or a nod (in place of handshakes or hugs)
- Sanitize or wash your hands when entering and exiting buildings
- Limit the number of people in an elevator to ensure a distance of 6 feet from others, and use an elbow to press buttons if you can
- Use tap to pay rather than handling money – consider paying in two transactions to eliminate the need to touch keypad to enter a PIN
- When taking public transit avoid prolonged close contact with others:
o travel during non-peak hours
o take shorter trips rather than one long trip
Stay physically active
- Do aerobics or online exercise classes at home
- Keep your distance from others if you go for walks or exercise outdoors